Sunday 24 March 2013

Makeup Beginner 101: Primer


Hey Readers,
Today I will be talking about primers! While some may find it more useful than others, primer has became one of my makeup staples ever since I was introduced to them!

Sooooo....what is a primer? 
A primer is applied after skincare and before any application of makeup. They bascially act as a shield between makeup and your skin. A primer's main purpose is to prolong the wear of your makeup products, while giving them something to adhere to instead of your skin. Primer usually protects your skin from some potential harmful ingredients in makeup which may clog your pores or acne (im not too sure about this one, but that is what I have heard) and comes in various types such as: moisturizing primer, oil controlling primer, mattifying primer, radiance primer, etc. Primers also come in different types, such as face primer or eye primer. Both of which I will be explaining in this post. 



(from left to right: Paul and Joe Pearl Foundation Primer Bon Bon, Shiseido Perfect Refining Primer (sample on top, full size on bottom.))

Face primer: The purpose of a face/ foundation primer is to basically prolong the wear of your foundation or base makeup. It fills in pores and fine lines to create a smoother, velvet texture for you foundation to glide on. I usually apply a thin layer of this onto my whole face, focusing on my T-Zone (forehead, nose and chin) then blend out onto my cheeks. Applying foundation after this dries really makes a difference for how long my makeup lasts. 






(Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base)



Eye primer: I cannot stress how much I appreciate eye primers. The purpose of eye primer is similar to that of a face primer, but it is meant for the delicate eyelid area. They prolong the wear of your eyeshadow, eyeliner and other eye makeup products that you may use. Not only does it it provide a layer for these makeup product to stick on, they also intensity the color of your eyeshadow and make it less likely to crease. I usually apply a thin layer of it on my eyelid after my base makeup routine and wait for it to dry before applying any eye makeup. Also, as I am a monolid ( I will talk about this more in my upcoming post), I can really see the difference between using a eye primer versus not using one. I personally recommend using an eye primer to anyone who wants to use eye makeup. 

I hope my post was helpful and gave a general understanding on primers. If you have any questions or would like me to do any reviews on the products mentioned in this or previous posts, feel free to leave a comment.

-MakeupMacaron 

No comments:

Post a Comment