Tuesday 26 March 2013

Makeup Beginner 101: BB Cream

BB (Blemish Balm) cream has been one of the popular fads in the Asian cosmetics market, with Korean brands taking the lead with their various different kinds of it. It has already hit the western market in recent years and western companies are launching their collection of BB creams too. But, you may ask…

WHAT exactly is BB cream?!

To make it simple, BB cream serves the same purpose of foundation and I know some people who like to think that  BB cream is just an upgraded version of foundation.  The formula was originally formulated in Germany and was supposed to be use on those who had undergone cosmetic surgery to help heal their skin. Somewhere along the way,  cosmetic companies have taken the formula and made it into a combined makeup and skincare product. BB cream is supposed to improve and address various skincare concerns with providing SPF and coverage. (To make it simple, think of it as a multipurpose product composed of  foundation, primer, moisturizer and sunblock.) Because of this, BB cream is supposed to save time and steps in your skincare and makeup routine. Some may find BB cream good enough to substitute their normal moisturizer with a BB cream while some may chose to use BB cream on top of it. I personally use BB cream on top of my normal skincare routine and may use primer or not depending on the formula of the BB cream. As with foundations, BB cream also comes in a variety of coverage and finishes.   Some also include concealer in their formulas so even more steps can be saved. Although BB cream does not come in a lot of shades, you are supposed to use a thin layer of it so it blends in with your skin tone.  However, from what I am seeing in the market now, more options are available.

So BB cream or Foundation?


I personally use both BB cream and foundation. I tend to use BB creams over foundation in the summer due to their SPF and lighter weight/texture. The BB creams that I have tried usually offer less coverage than foundation so I would also use them on days when I want to look more natural or less “made-up”. I also use it on days when I want to save time on my makeup and skincare routine as BB cream saves steps.  The downside to BB creams, however is that they don’t provide long lasting coverage so you would need to touch up every so often. I would recommend using BB cream on days when you do not require long lasting high coverage. They are also worth using just because of the various skincare benefits too!

I hope you found this review useful and should you have any questions, feel free to post comments. 

-Makeupmacaron 

No comments:

Post a Comment